Sunday 26 December 2010

Siegfried Sassoon… and a Realisation

Siegfried Sassoon was not a pacifist but an objector against the First World War, I am a complete pacifist.

So what is the similarity?

Well the understanding of Sassoon’s feelings about the war came clearer to me when I was in Tyne Cot, one of the largest war cemeteries for WW1.

I had always found that it was odd in a way that Sassoon who was a brave solider can be so angry about the war instead of constantly feeling upset about the people, friends and brothers in arms that he lost. Why was he angry?

I now know why he was angry.

Because all the lives that were lost were nearly for nothing.

I’m not saying that those men died for nothing or were nothing, I have the up most respect for those who fought and those fighting now.

But millions of men dying for a few meters of land? That seams like nothing because of how precious a life is.

So there I was in Tyne Cot, looking over all the graves and wondered why this mass slaughter was allowed to happen.

So I got angry instead of being upset.

So I understand, not completely, I don’t think I ever will, Siegfried Sassoon’s feelings about the war and why he was like that.

Millions of lives lost for a few meters of mud.

I think that we should fight for what we believe in, stand up for your rights but it should never turn to violence or killing.

I know what you think that this is: Idealistic? Not realistic? The furthest away dream for Earth?

Yes it is.

But if everyone shared the same sort of ideas we can prevent something like the World Wars happening again

No comments:

Post a Comment