Saturday 4 December 2010

Siegfried Sassoon...

Shortly I will be posting a post about Siegfried Sassoon and for those who don't want to Google him here is basic information. (that I didn't copy straight form Wikipedia)

He fought in the First World War and signed up on the second day of the war and later became a protester against the war, he won the Miliarty Cross for bravery. He was a poet and good friend to many other writers and poets including Wilfred Owen, H. G. Wells  and Robert Graves.

To me he is one, if not the, greatest war poets ever.


A plaque dedecated to the men fallen form Sassoons
old school with Sassoons message to them

My favourite being and happily titiled 'Suicide in the Trenches' showing the side of war that the people in England could not dream about.

I knew a simple soldier boy.....
Who grinned at life in empty joy,
Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
And whistled early with the lark.


In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
He put a bullet through his brain.
And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

I will write more about Sassoon and his infulences and the realisation I had in France and how Sassoon is linked to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment