Thursday 28 October 2010

Stereotypes

In the culture of the 21st Century stereotypes are the most effective way of dividing our culture and even more so the world. The stereotypes that we place people in, whether it is in school, being branded a geek, athlete or chav, or anywhere else in the world is it in work or general society.

The stereotypes that people give each other forms and moulds or society. Your personal stereotype takes on feature of your personality, maybe not even your most prominent quality, and makes you conform to a certain group or type.

So this begs a question, why do we stereotype people?

Is stereotyping someone just an easy way of making people feel more easy with each other in society, or has it lead to the exact opposite? 

My personal opinion, and the real reason I am talking about this, is that we should never stereotype anyone.

I was placed, stereotypically, as a geek as I first entered high school and I understand that I did live up to that stereotype so for the most part it was justified. But as I grew I became another person, not completely different but not the same, I should have been placed in a different group but the stereotype stayed the same.

Here are a few stereotypes that I could or should be placed in to as I am now; geek, musician, artist, Christian, hippie, writer, waitress, blogger, gamer, trekkie,  songwriter, poet and that is just the list of the top of my head and the other thing I am interested in that have no titles.

Am I always going to be the stereotype that was first set on me and I will forever be judged by that?

Hopefully not I will always be those people that people stereotype me as but I would more rather be myself than conform.

But this topic would have to lead on to who I am and who I am can be mainly defined by one song by Hillary Duff, I am. Cheesy that I am ending on this but if you have the time Google the song because this song is basically about me and my life. Because ‘I'm a million contradictions, Sometimes I make no sense’

So why should I be one defining stereotype?

No comments:

Post a Comment