Saturday 11 June 2011

A House with a View

Derwent Water when it was frozen 
I live undoubtedly in one of the most beautiful places in England.

I used to live in Chester not overly industrial but views like in Cumbria were hard to come by and when I first moved to Penrith I was awestruck by the beauty.

Every weekend my mum, sister and me went out to the lakes and just spent months just looking at the beauty of the place.

I also a few days after moving remember asking one of my new friends at Primary School what it felt like to live in such a beautiful place. She said she didn’t really think of it that often.

I found this really odd at the time.

Yet living in Cumbria for such a long time has given me the same attitude of my friend.

The view form the rock
The beauty is there; I wake up to a view of the Ullswater fells every day but I don’t think of it as overly beautiful now.


I don’t know why.


It could be going to other countries has coloured my option of this one; Slovenia and New Zealand to be the two main culprits.

The view of north from the rock at sunset
Or because I am immune to the beauty now.

I don’t know.

I swore I would never have that attitude of “Beauty… meh”. But over the last eight years I have developed it.

There is a place just up form the road from my house. It is basically a field that people go to walk dogs and play football.
 
The rock
Last week when me and two of my best friends had a sleep over together we all randomly decided to go up there at eleven o’clock at night.

Whilst there we were talking about the beauty of the place we were in. And it was there on a rock at eleven o’clock at night with the sun setting and a twilight haze over the mountains I realised my love for the Lake District again.

I hope the love stays because hundreds of people would love to live where I do, not many people can say they wake up to one of the most amazing views in England everyday.
The view form my bedroom in Winter
View from my window in Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment